Feedback is a double-edged sword.
You want all your tutor’s comments about your coursework to be good. But you need the feedback most when there’s room to improve.
Hard is it can be, you can go a long way when you act on advice. That’s what it is…advice. Instead of thinking of it as negative feedback, give it a positive edge and use the advice to do better in your next assignment.
If you’re finding it difficult to take a peek at those comments, let Episode 011 of TUB-Thump give you a helping hand. It’ll be far less painful if you look forward rather than back.
There’s a lot of advice out there on how to use feedback. When you’re ready to tackle it, check out these links too:
- Feedback FAQ (Edinburgh)
- How to Use Feedback (Manchester)
- Types of Feedback (Nottingham)
- 20 Ways to Engage with Feedback (TheUniversityBlog)
- What to do When You Get Your Marked Essay Back (TheUniversityBlog)
Here are the show notes for the 8-min episode:
- 01:25 – Think of feedback as help. This isn’t about where you went wrong, it’s about where you can go right next time.
- 02:05 – Do you understand the feedback? If it’s vague or if you don’t understand it, find out more.
- 02:50 – Check out online and library resources regarding feedback. This should help you get an initial idea.
- 04:00 – Look for feedback as you go. Don’t wait until after you’ve got the assignment marked. Preliminary feedback lets you know if you’re going in the right direction and can help you build an even better piece of work.
- 05:00 – Direct and relevant questions are far better than asking for vague advice. Go in prepared and you’ll get a much better reception. Plus, it’ll be advice tailored to your specific issues.
- 06:00 – Feedback is about looking forward. It’s a tool to reach further in the future, not a retrospective on the past.
- 06:50 – Summing up the episode’s main points.
- 07:10 – It’s difficult to engage with feedback, but it’s worth your while embracing it for your next piece of coursework.
TUB-Thump is part of the Learning Always Network.
Keep being awesome!