High tuition fees mean that a lot of people want to make the most of their time at university.
For some, that means knuckling down and focusing solely on the academic work.
Episode 029 of TUB-Thump has a different suggestion.
Your academic work is just one strand of your learning and development. You can get a totally different set of qualities and skills from the activities and experiences outside of class.
To broaden your horizons to the fullest extent, it’s time to face more than one learning path. When it’s time to plot your next destination in life, more than one path will give you a bigger choice toward the quickest route to success.
No need to feel guilty about spending some time away from the books. It’s expected of you.
Here are the show notes for the 7-min episode:
- 01:05 – You have two approaches to your learning at university. One is academic. The other is what you do outside of your degree work.
- 02:30 – The focus on broadening your horizons beyond your academic work is just as important for developing yourself, both for now and the future.
- 04:00 Many students still don’t realise how important the non-academic experiences are in shaping the story of you.
- 05:10 – If you’re focusing mostly on the academic, you could be missing out on social activities, as well as improving your future career chances.
- 06:10 – Don’t feel guilty about spending time away from the lectures and coursework for some of your time.
TUB-Thump is part of the Learning Always Network.
Keep being awesome!