Since October is the month of new students hitting campus, Episode 001 of TUB-Thump is all about settling in.
Here are the show notes for the 11-min episode:
- Your entire way of life is up for change when you hit campus. It’s time to focus. And that means taking action. From the big stuff (like getting to know others), to the small stuff (like unpacking all your belongings).
- The rush is real. However, it’ll calm down quicker than you realise. Take control of the rush, rather than let it take control of you. It’s easy to ignore scheduling and discipline, but it makes a huge difference to what you’re able to do.
- You get used to what’s going on pretty quickly. In some ways, you may end up feeling a bit of an anti-climax. That’s why some freshers get a second hit of homesickness, part way through term.
- If the situation continues to be difficult, do seek help. If you don’t know who is best to turn to, check your Freshers documents/handbook and check online. Failing that, ask someone to point you in the right direction. Student Services or your Students’ Union, for instance, should be able to tell you what to do next in your situation.
- I took weeks to fully unpack. It doesn’t help you feel so much at home. Put everything in its proper place.
- Don’t spend all the cash on stuff to make you feel better. First, the money is meant for stuff like accommodation and living. Second, that stuff is a distraction. It doesn’t actually make you feel any better in the longer term.
- Start studying as soon as you can. Sound mad? Actually, a bit of advance reading should help get your mind a bit closer to what you’re about to encounter in lectures and seminars. If you get a taste of the basics before your first lecture, you may be in for less of a shock by the language and concepts. And it may take your mind off all the other changes you’re dealing with right now!
- Be prepared for better to come. Your experience will change over time. It’s not three or four years of the same things happening again and again. You won’t recognise yourself by the time you graduate.
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed, you’re not alone. Many students feel the same way. In the end, you’ll probably want to do even more.
TUB-Thump is part of the Learning Always Network.
Keep being awesome!