I’m in the process of putting together a new 20-part series of posts over 20 days, which are all lists of 20. As a taster, I want to give you 20 reasons why you need to take the student experience seriously every single day.
I had wasted days at uni. These weren’t just relaxation days (which are necessary), they were a complete waste of time when nothing worthwhile was done at all.
Luckily, I didn’t waste many days. But I still look back and shudder at what I could’ve done with those precious hours I did waste. I can’t get that time back.
20 reasons to get serious about uni: from Fresher to finished
- Because, quite simply, every second counts.
- The first year does matter to grades – If your first year grades don’t count toward your final degree award, many students take it easy. Who cares? But you should care, because a serious effort from the outset means you’re likely to have much better grades when the marks do count.
- Fun is serious (when done right).
- Serious is fun (when done right).
- Your future is better managed in advance… – Don’t wait for life to bite you on the bum. Half the fun is chasing life for the goodies!
- Each year is different – With each new academic year comes a new set of possibilities. You’ve moved on, the learning structure moves on, and priorities change. Taking each year as a different stage in your experience helps ground you and make the most of your time.
- Each term/semester is different – Another time of change, whether it’s modules or activities. The start of every new term is time to take stock and appreciate how you want/need to move on.
- You can start planning your career right now – The sooner you take this seriously, the more time you have to show off your potential and talent.
- You can actually start your career right now! – Why not go the whole hog and start a company or reach out to businesses and make your degree a deeply vocational dream?
- Don’t have a career planned? Even if you’re studying mainly for the learning, like I was, you should still consider your future plans and dreams.
- ‘Careless’ is different to ‘Fun’ – You can go absolutely crazy having fun. It’s when you stop thinking about your actions that you’re liable to do something careless.
- A careless past can come back to haunt you – Still don’t think it’s worth taking fun seriously? One day you’ll wish you did.
- The later you take life seriously, the more opportunities you’ll miss.
- This is a unique stage of life. Cherish it.
- Blink and you’ve missed it. I’m warning you.
- The quicker you focus on the student life, the quicker you’ll settle. That goes for everything, not just study.
- You’ll have more time to think of a great postgraduate route. You may never need leave uni again. 😉
- You don’t want to give anyone the excuse not to take you seriously.
- A lot of issues that you’ll encounter again and again in life can be experienced at a more relaxed pace, or in a less demanding way at uni.
- It’s costing you money to study. A wasted day is wasted money.