EduLinks – Work, work, work and philosophy

More links to sink your teeth into…

BBC – The unstoppable rise of work experience

An increasing number of graduates are taking on internships. What’s going on?

Nick Petrie – Student media should work together

Online networks are so powerful when people come together. Student media could prove so much stronger if they emulate this collaboration.

Exquisite Life – Coalition politics, graduate taxes and the Browne review

What could come out of the Browne review and how will the coalition government deal with it?  William Cullerne Bown takes a detailed look.

BBC – Teaching philosophy with Spider-Man

Think that complex moral and ethical debates are stuffy and boring?  Think again. Academics have found that comics can tap surprisingly well into these discussions.

From Times Higher Education – Teaching graduates how to think will help them get jobs

“The point-scoring-let’s-assess-everything mentality seems to have turned off the genes for seeing the bigger picture. On graduating, the average student is rather like Kaspar Hauser on his first day on the streets: still needing to be taught how to think.

“What graduates really need is a broad grasp of ideas and concepts, with the ability to articulate them, either in writing or verbally, in a clear, logical, unambiguous way.”

From National Association of Scholars – Wanted: A college degree and the ability to lift 50 pounds

“Limiting job candidates to those who have completed college degrees erects an entry barrier for ‘less-educated’ individuals with quality work and life experiences, in addition to reinforcing the idea that everyone has to seek a college degree to have a successful career. In turn, this message (along with government and media influences) contributes to pushing millions of people who do not have the desire or ability—or need—for true higher learning through the college system. These pressures create a host of unintended consequences such as excessively lowered classroom standards in order to ‘maintain a respectful graduation rate’ or students overconsuming education in lieu of work experience – the latter of which is more likely to increase employability.”

Learning Styles Don’t Exist

Hat tip to @amcunningham for that video.

One comment

1. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a worse misrepresentation of the concept of learning styles than the one presented in that video…
    Or of the concept of “good teaching”.